Music Video - Start Something - Tear Down The Flagship

Our Final MySpace Website - Click to Visit

Our Final Album Cover

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Genre Research

To start off my individual research I am going to look into the genre of music video for the songs I am interested in doing. To do this I am going to look at music video director Adam Powell who has directed videos for artists (such as Architects and Gallows) in the UK.

On his personal website he has a clear and simple pitch;

"So no marketing patter or clever words. That's not who I am or how I work. I do film. Period. I've been a film maker ever since I first picked up a camera and I'll be a film maker long after I'm dead. I live and breathe it.
-If you want your music video to be as passionate as your music
-A documentary of your event/tour that captures more than just refractive light through a lens.
-A corporate video that defies convention.
Drop me a line"

I love this pitch as it is simple and effective and also captivates what we as student film makers are trying to achieve. With such a low budget we cannot hope to produce some ridiculous high quality, special effects crammed, work of art that would be considered a technical wonder. Instead we are forced to create a music video that captures the passion and deeper meaning behind the music and lyrics through style rather than through stunning visual effects.

Adam Powell is an independent director and has worked on many videos that I regard as favourites, especially the Architects videos. Therefore I will later go in depth about the use of shots and editing in some of his Architects videos and hopefully incorporate some of his filming techniques into my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment