Music Video - Start Something - Tear Down The Flagship

Our Final MySpace Website - Click to Visit

Our Final Album Cover

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Reflections on the Teenage Dirtbag video shoot



1. What do you think you learnt from Friday's workshop?
Friday's workshop was a very eye opening experience into the world of shooting and directing a music video. Although preferably I'd have liked to be behind the camera working on the technical team it was a very good experience to be involved in the acting and performance. The biggest thing for me was working with Jake Wynne. Watching him direct was very interesting and made me think very hard about the role of the director and also the role of the performer in relation with the director. There has to be a connection between the two and almost an onset chemistry for them to understand what they want to achieve and how to go about creating this in music video form. Jake worked closely with every actor getting very involved in every shot and this approach made him enjoyable to work with but let you know exactly what he wanted you to do, and how to do this.
The second point for me was about the camera work. I learnt a lot watching the Camera crew work especially about their role on the shoot and their position of power in comparison to the director. Although the director is ultimately in charge, he works closely with the camera crew to find the most appropriate and creative way of doing a shot. The two main features of camerawork I observed were the use of manual focus and tracks, both of which made me think about the use of motion in video and how important it is to adding interest to what can look a quite dull performance.
This leads on nicely to my last point of interest, the performance itself. I learnt about how tiring a performance shoot is, and how important it is to keep optimistic and energetic at all times, to help the director achieve the best possible video outcome. It is important to know your character well and to know the song back to front, as if you don't, your performance will look dreadful! I think we managed to pull off some great performance shots by working well as a group and these skills I will carry across to our main project.

2. For you, what was the best bit?
My favourite part of the day by far was the band shots as they were really fun to take part in. Once you'd gotten over the inital embarrassment of being infront of a camera singing Wheatus, you could really let yourself go and enjoy yourself. Working with the rest of the band was really fun as we managed to put on a great ensemble performance, really bouncing off eachothers mannerisms and ideas, and working with Jake inbetween shots to pull off even more convincing imitations of the Wheatus band members. It was brilliant being able to adopt a different identity for the day and try and imagine yourself as them. Also, playing with Simon dancing round a pair of bongos, shaking an apple and a banana was a truely hilarious experience and definitely one I will never forget. Music and media are my passions and it was wonderful to get to combine the two in a way that will really benefit me throughout the duration of the course.

3. How do you think the work we have done will impact on your group project?
This workshop will greatly change the way I think about approaching my group project. For a start I now know to completely plan out every single shot and test how to shoot it in advance to save time on the day. I know better how to work as an ensemble and listen to the director, following their instructions precisely. I have learnt how important it is to really be on the ball and not mess about seeing as a shoot can take a very long time, and the more tired you are, the less convincing a performance you will be able to give. For me especially with the possibility of being the vocalist in our group project the workshop was especially helpful as it has taught me a lot about lip syncing and the role of the lead vocalist as an icon, something for the audience to focus on throughout the video. I know we need to give the band an identity and an image and make sure that carries on throughout the video.
On the technical side I'm definitely more willing to try more complicated shot types and using the manual settings on the camera to change the depth of field. I think movement of the camera is a must have to make the video interesting and will make sure to incorporate this into my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment